Seymour, county seat of Baylor County, is home to 3000 residents. The town calls itself “the crossroads of North Texas” because it is located at the junction of five highways: U.S. highways 82, 277, 183 and 283, as well as State Highway 114. It is a noted stopover for traffic between the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and Lubbock, as well as between Abilene and Wichita Falls.
Seymour was founded by settlers from Oregon, who called the town Oregon City; it was originally located where the Western Trail crossed the Brazos River, which flows just south of the townsite. In 1879 the town’s name was changed to honor local cowboy Seymour Munday, after whom nearby Munday was also named.